Saturday, February 26, 2011

Let it Come to You

SO I've been talking to my therapist about what's "next" for me. You know, what I want my next career to be. I don't want to just have a different job. I love my job in many ways and I work with great people. It's rewarding work. It's not like I want the same job at a different place. I don't at all. I want something entirely different. No on call phone 24-7 and not so much of the emotional gymnastics. I am thinking maybe I'll become an acupuncturist or something. My therapist says, "Just be open to something new and let it come to you." I'm like, "No, that doesn't work for me. I did that basically all through college and then I was stuck with low-paying entry jobs for liberal arts majors." I've made myself into a type A personality in the last decade and that's not who I've been the rest of my life. She said, "Start keeping a journal then of things that are interesting to you and then think about them and let things percolate." OK, probably not her exact words, but I like that she included some kind of action I could take : )  So I'm trying to percolate.

The other morning I woke up from a fabulous dream that included hot wax. No it wasn't that kind of dream! I dreamt I was taking a class on encaustic painting. I was making my first layers and feeling a little like I wasn't sure I was doing it right. Then, when I was a little way into the class, I stepped back from the piece and looked at it in the light. It looked great!

The next day I was talking to one of my coworkers about it and she mentioned there is a shop that gives classes on encaustic painting! She's going to forward me the info the next time they are offering workshops. Percolate, percolate.

Then I was asked to perform another wedding. Several friends have said I should do this on the side and that I could probably ask for a couple hundred bucks per wedding. Not sure I could get that much or that I'd want to do this for anyone but friends, but still.... percolate, percolate....

Trying to see opportunities in non-traditional places and work that doesn't look like typical work.

Percolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment