Sunday, April 25, 2010

A Real AmeriCorps

So I woke up thinking this morning about something I woke up two days ago thinking about. I think our country needs a way to galvanize folks who serve their country other than by going into the military. Not because I have anything against the military. I just think it would be great to highlight and support ways that you can support your country by supporting your community and the members of your community through service.

There's AmeriCorps, which is great, but I've been in the non-profit community sector for over 15 years now. I'm not quitting my job to earn a small stipend and college loan relief. I don't have college loans. I still serve my country by working in my field. I make sure that people who have a child in the hospital have a place to stay nearby to their child. There are tons of people like me to do work for much less than we might earn in the for-profit world because we believe in working to help others in our communities. We aren't going to go work in an entry level internship to be a part of AmeriCorps.

However, I would love to join an expanded AmeriCorps that provided recognition, networking opportunities, maybe insurance pools (because folks who work in non-profit are often underinsured), educational opportunities etc. I would love to join an organization that recognized professionals in the service of their communities and provided mentorships. I would love to see a national service organization that proudly highlighted how its members serve their nation through various works.

I think an organization such as this would be an excellent way to bring together people of various backgrounds over a more compassionate, more active way to be a patriot. In my mind it could work to redefine what it means to love your country and to serve your country. It could redefine what it means to be patriotic. It could put an emphasis back on community and how we can transform our communities through good works.

I would be very proud to proclaim membership in such a group, a group that proclaimed with pride the good works of it's members to their communities.

No comments:

Post a Comment